Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Heterophobia Anyone???

WELL I am in the midst of reading the document released today by the USCCB (United States Conference of Catholic Bishops) and, surprise, surprise, the "new" document sounds AWFULLY familiar. It suggests, among other things, that GLBT persons are to be welcomed into the Church but not to receive Holy Communion unless attempting to live a life of chastity.

WHERE IS THE NEWS IN THIS??? I was driving home, just after Mass tonight, and heard a short "blurb" about it on the radio that at least hinted that no one with same sex attracted tendencies would be able to receive Communion, and I had to fight with myself all the way home saying "What would I do if they denied me the Eucharist"?

Well they aren't doing any such thing, as I knew in my heart of hearts was the case. They are simply reiterating what has been traditional Catholic teaching all along, and what both the Catechism and Vatican documents have spelled out for years.

Interestingly, the only group interviewed to "represent" us who struggle in that area was the group DIGNITY, who is a pro-gay Catholic group that yearly goes to the nation's Cathedrals on Pentecost Sunday to try and force the priests and Eucharistic ministers to give them Holy Communion, and then get great publicity in the local and national media when they are refused. I personally witnessed someone nearly shoving one of the faithful ministers over and "grabbing her Eucharist", and then bragging about it afterwards. Only 2-3 years ago I might have been on her side of the fence, but afterwards, in love, I went over to her and told her my story--that I too had same-sex attraction but loved the Eucharist too much to let my old life control me anymore. She began yelling at me, saying "You can't tell me what to do--GOD TELLS ME WHAT TO DO!" and suddenly there were perhaps 10 or more of the group, wearing their rainbow sashes, all witnessing this encounter. I then told her that I was simply sharing my story, wished God's blessings on her, and walked away. This was a month after I was confirmed, and I will just say God gave me the boldness I needed that day--inside me there was a "whole lotta shakin' goin' on" hehe. But this was Pentecost, and a month earlier I was sealed in our wonderful Catholic Church with the gift of the precious Holy Spirit. "You shall receive power", so the book of Acts tells us, when the Holy Spirit comes upon us, and that day I simply was a vessel.

Don't let the media tell you that the Catholic Church is "mean". I struggle every day--but I have had more peace in the last year, since returning to Holy Mother Church and Holy Mother Mary, the only real "Queen" I need (play on words intended), than in 15 years being "OUT".

Yes, homophobia is alive in the Church, and it is evil, as is all discrimination. But HETEROPHOBIA is equally alive in gay activist groups such as Dignity and the Rainbow Sashers, and others who have chosen willingly to not live by Church guidelines. I know--I have been there. I just wonder why David Morrison and Courage were not called on for a TRULY "alternative" view--that chastity IS possible, at least a worthy goal to work towards ( I still have a ways to go but HONEY I am going!), and that the power of the Sacraments and our Lord are worth every bit of trouble. Why didn't the news cover that?

If you wish to see some opposing views, http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Catholic-Bishops.html?_r=1&oref=slogin is the New York Times article, and http://www.usccb.org/dpp/Ministry.pdf is the full document from the USCCB website.

No comments: